When we hear about the word toxic our minds are more likely to shift to an image of scary industrial waste pouring into a lake or weird purple stained chicken with headlines “Toxic chicken causes cancer”. Well, I hate to burst your toxic bubble of sorts by telling you now that a certain someone in your life can be toxic for you. They won’t cause you cancer, they will definitely take you to therapy though- and we both know shrinks do not accept insurance!
When someone is toxic they are controlling, overbearing, manipulative and moody.
You never know which side of them you are dealing with and what not to say to upset them. What is worse is that these people somehow are revered and overly respected and feared by others such that instead of any possible change in behavior in future, these people are guaranteed to remain the same, condescending, mean monsters but only worse.
You can smell a toxic person from miles away by seeing these signs:
1. They are feared and their word is the law.
2. They make everyone submit to their will by sheer force or through incessant debate.
3. They reward “dutiful” minions with gifts and love.
4. They hate a difference in opinion.
5. They will abuse you and then play the victim.
6. They constantly need to have the last word.
7.They will manipulate you to feel guilty for standing up for yourself.
8. They will bully you to the ends of the earth about anything really, from the way you walk to the way you chew.
9. They appear overly nice in the beginning to trap you into the illusion that they deserve your obedience at any and all times.
It is trickier and much more frustrating when these people are your family. They will poison you with their behavior for life and scar you in the deepest corners of your being. These people will not only damage your self esteem and sense of self worth, they will come out of this experience as the good guys and you will be alienated and exiled from your own family because of them. These people remain the same gross creatures even after old age and they will become worse, and use their old age as an excuse to subdue and destroy your essence of happiness and if you stand up to them, you will be labeled the genie for handling a frail old woman with heart conditions, with utter inconsideration. Well dear old bully monster of the millenia of the world, just die already !